St. Boniface Parish began in 1853 with the purchase of two lots on 10th Street between Main and Ferry, to serve the needs of German-speaking Catholics in the Lafayette area.
In 1865, on the site of an old Indian burial ground, the present church was constructed. The tower was originally flat topped,. The upper tower and steeple were added in 1887. The building was covered in fake stone about 1918, and the current brick was added in 1954. The Order of Friars Minor (Franciscan Fathers) of Cincinnati Province assumed pastoral responsibilities for St. Boniface from 1875 - 1991.
In 1886, the original small church on 10th street was remodeled and a second story was added to convert it into a school. Expansion continued when a new school building for boys (the present Rectory) was established in 1883.
In 1916, the exterior of the church was covered with imitation stone. The stone was removed in 1954.
Interior restoration in 1997 has prepared the church for many more years of service.
In 2004, the cross on the steeple was restored to its original condition. It can now be seen glistening in the sunlight from many points in town.
St. Boniface Church Webpage