The First Church Of Christ - Later becoming the First Christian Church was organized
in July 1839 and the first service was held in the Tippecanoe Court House.
As the congregation grew, it met in a variety of locations in the North 5th street and 6th street area.
The contract for the brick building of the Craftsman style was let on May 3, 1913. In 1955, the present sanctuary (adjacent to the old church) was built. In 1960, the old church was renovated to serve as the education and church offices.
On May 21, 2000, the church was awarded a Pride of Centennial Award award by the neighborhood association for adding an elevator to the historic church without altering its architecture.
|Legal Description of the Property|
|156-06100-0436||PIFERS & SPENCERS ADDN 49 1/2 FT W SIDE LOT 5 & ALL LOT 6||FIRST CHRISTIAN CHURCH OF LAF IN INC|