Trinity M.E. Church
404 North 6th St.
The First Methodist Class was organized in Lafayette in 1824. They held meetings in the old log county courthouse. Among other locations, in 1836, Trinity was located on the north east corner of 5th and Ferry, which was later sold to the First Christian Church.
The oldest part of the existing church -- the alter part -- which is oriented from north to south was built in 1868. The east to west portion of the sanctuary was dedicated in 1872.
On May 21, 2000, the church was awarded the "Pride of Centennial" award by the neighborhood association for adding an elevator to the historic church without altering its architecture.