First Baptist Church
411 North 7th St.
Lots #102, #103, #104 in Bartholomew and Davis Addition
Key :: 156-06100-0040
This Gothic Revival Edifice was built in 1872 at a cost of $93,000. The architect was Elias Max who was also the architect that designed the Tippecanoe County Courthouse and the building contractor for Centennial School. J. K. Wilson was the designer of the steeple. Original subscribers to the church building fund included such names as: Peirce, Levering, J. M. Dresser, Cyrus Ball, and John Purdue.
The adjacent educational building, now the Fellowship Hall, was constructed in 1884. The present Education Building was built in 1961. In 1921, the original spires on the sanctuary and Fellowship Hall were removed. The spire on the north tower was 210 feet tall.
The stained glass windows, pews, pew cushions, pulpit and woodwork are all original to the church building.