St. John's Episcopal Church
600 Ferry St.
Lot :: #1 and W 1/2 Lot #2 in Peifer and Spencer's Addition
Key :: 156-06100-0656
St. John's Episcopal church was consecrated on July 29, 1858. This Gothic Revival church is brick covered with stucco and cost around $10,000 to build. The congregation actually dates back to 1837 and originally met in a small wooden church on the site. St. John's has been honored with a Wabash Valley Trust Plaque and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
St. John's was the first church in Lafayette to have an organ in 1859. In 1966 the Wick Organ was donated by Mrs. Rochester Baird and was at that time the largest in Lafayette.
The sanctuary is beautifully decorated with magnificent stained glass windows, oak pews and trusses. The "Rose" window above the altar was a gift in memory of "Franklin L. Cary" for whom Cary Quadrangle at Purdue University was dedicated.