Since 1916 the Sons of Abraham Synagogue, known affectionately as "the Shul," has been quietly hidden away on N 7th street. The congregation was formed as a more traditional alternative to the Reform Temple and to obtain Kosher food. In 1889, it split off from Ahavas Achim Congregation of 17 S 7th street. From 1889 to 1916, the congregation met in rented space at 9th and Main streets. Athough always Orthodox in the past, the congregation recently voted to affiliate with the Conservative movement.
The building is vernacular with some Classical details, such as the pediments over the front entrace and windows and the cornice returns on the gable. The iron railing leading up to the front entrance contains Stars of David. The building houses many beautiful stained glass windows and nicely refinished wooden benches. The synagogue is a recipient of the Wabash Valley Trust Plaque.
According to the Tippecanoe County Historic Association, on May 6, 1916 A contract was let for construction of a place of worship on North Seventh Street for the Sons of Abraham Synagogue members.
|Legal Description of the Property|
|156-05400-0620||JACOB & HOOVER 6 FT S SIDE LOTS 1 & LOT 2||TR SONS OF ABRAHAM|