St. James Evangelical Lutheran Church
800 Cincinnati St.
St. James Evangelical Lutheran Church began its existance as the Grace Episcopal Church. Because of doctrinal differences in the congregation of nearby St. John's Episcopal Church, a schism occured. Some members of St. John's left that church and formed the Grace Episcopal Church. The conrnerstone is laid on June 10th 1870. The building cost about $20,000 to build. In 1884, after the schism had been resolved, the building was sold to the congregation of St. James for $8,000. After aquiring the bulding, the St. James congregation spent $2,000 on improvements. The church has received a Wabash Valley Trust Plaque.
The church was built in the Gothic Revival Style, common for religious buildings during the 19th century. Its exterior was constructed of yellow brick, which was somewhat unusual in Lafayette. The west tower rises many stories. Above the stairs to the sanctuary is a large stained glass window with elaborate Gothic tracery. There are serveral large Gothic doors at the top of the stairs. In 1908, a 2000 lb. bell was purchased and mounted in the belfry. In 1925 for the 75th anniversary celebration, a new organ was purchased for $7000.00. Also as part of the anniversary, new pews, pulpit, lectern and stained glass windows were installed.
The interior of the sanctuary is spacious and grand with elaborate paintings, statues and truss work
St. James Church web page